Miles' practice focuses on affluent families, family offices, and trust companies (private or commercial) serving such clients. He counsels those clients regarding:
- private and retail trust company chartering and ongoing management matters, including anti-money laundering compliance and regulation, whether for highly successful, strategically-minded families or well-known domestic and international financial institutions,
- family office structuring, governance, and succession issues, including executive compensation and retention,
- investment adviser compliance and regulation issues,
- structuring of family investments and investment vehicles, and
- tax and estate planning matters.
Miles writes and speaks on a wide variety of tax and wealth management topics.
In addition to being a lawyer, Miles spent over 5 years as an investment consultant focusing on asset allocation, portfolio construction, and manager search and selection, and ongoing due diligence.
Miles is a member of the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law.